From St Thomas’s, Leicester, this was the go-to chapel chair design for the British Army for many years. Unlike most chapel chairs these have a solid oak construction with a seat made out of several slats. Obviously strong, they have a pleasing utilitarian look and are comfortable as well.
From St Mary & St George, High Wycombe. Very unusual light oak coloured chapel chairs with a classic ‘Fiddleback’ design in the back splat. Very strong dating from circa 1925, some evidence of historic woodworm which has been treated as a precaution.
Very handsome and well-made splat back chapel chairs from St Michaels and all Angels, Castleford. These came with the extra superstructure underneath the seat which was originally for men to store their hats on. The laquer has worn away on some of the high spots – seat edges and top rail giving a very attractive (and authentic!) distressed effect. Heavy and strong, suitable for commercial and domestic use.
From St Nicholas on the Hill and St Jude, Swansea, these sturdy beech early 1960’s chairs have an attractive dentil moulding back support. All of these chairs have had their seats and top rails sanded and refinished and have hymnbook racks at the back.